On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 01:23:32AM -0700, petro wrote:

> >Most insurance companies are worth millions, if not billions, of
> >dollars, and they make huge profits.  Insuring all of the people that
> >they now deny based on genetic abnormalities would still allow them to
> >make decent profits.
>
>       So? Where is it mandated that they cover those?
>
>       In fact, display proof that they *DON'T*.

I believe that currently, they do cover people with genetic
abnormalities.  However, they have been trying for quite some time to
allow for discrimination based upon said abnormalities.

>       Most children--which is where genetic "abnormalities" show
> up--are covered often sight unseen through their parents policies,
> and often before they are even conceived.

OK.  This lowers the amount of people the companies would be
discriminating aginst.  Therefore, the insurance company is saving
less money.  Therefore, we have more reason to force them to insure
said people, if it affects them less.

> >Also, people cannot simply create insurance companies.  Breaking into
> >the healthcare business is damn near impossible, unless you have
> >established relationships inside the industry.
>
>       No, you have to have (a) big chunks of assets, and (b) follow
> some *EXTREMELY* thick government rules.
>
>       It's the government stupid.
>
> >And many people are denied coverage outright, therefore removing the
> >possibility of simply paying for their coverage.
>
>       Huh?
>
>       How does denial of coverage prevent them from paying?
>
>       Oh, you must not have meant what you wrote.

Like I've said before, people may be able to afford coverage without
being able to afford the care.

>       You must have meant "many people who are denied coverage are
> denied treatment since they don't have health care".
>
>       Guess why? Government again. If I have a health care bill,
> and pay even a *TINY* bit on it--like $10 a month, the creditor
> cannot file negative reports against me, cannot come after me legally
> etc. even if I owed 20k in medical bills. (you do the math on how
> long it takes to pay off 20k at $10 a month). Therefore, the
> hospitals know that for anything less than life threatening
> treatment, it's a losing battle to provide treatment to those without
> the demonstrated means to pay.
>
>       Medicine is not a commodity, but it's *still* a business. It has to be.

Why does it have to be a business?

- --
Nathan Saper ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) | http://www.well.com/user/natedog/
GnuPG (ElGamal/DSA): 0x9AD0F382 | PGP 2.x (RSA): 0x386C4B91
Standard PGP & PGP/MIME OK      | AOL Instant Messenger: linuxfu