protocol, as described at https://opaque.link/post/dropgang/

>Dead drop reuse:

>To achieve acceptable security each dead drop may be used once only,
because hostile buyers could place 'their' dead drops under video
surveillance  and record every courier and customer visit to the drop
following their own transaction.

>Couriers delivering to dead drops can not determine if their supplier
sends them to previously used dead drops, unless they service only dead
drops they set up and document themselves.  Couriers should transmit the
locations of drops they have developed only when presented with an order
to fill, to assure that their distributor can not send other couriers
and customers to use them first.  The added surveillance exposure of
making two visits to the same site - setup and delivery - presents less
exposure than trusting that the anonymous seller will never send a
courier to a previously used dead drop.
[much stuff deleted]

People who think of a 'dead drop' as being a previously-existing hidey-hole in
the urban/suburban landscape need to remember that even if they are relatively
plentiful, they are NOT so plentiful that they won't be reused at some point.
Or much more likely, probed on speculation by passers-by, especially once they
learn that such locations may be used as dead-drops.
This is one reason I previously described my idea to have a pointy metal or
stiff-plastic  tube driven into the soil or  in grassy area, maybe 1 inch in
diameter, and then filled with a removable tube with the payload contained in
it.  For an approximate shape, take a look at this ad for centrifuge
tube:https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=76941&gclid=Cj0KCQiAm5viBRD4ARIsADGUT24x7cDtbtnGyiwG2_DKaCKpwCn9I-jw8XHCOwL17U0LCWFB3SQkyGAaArjUEALw_wcB

(Although I am not suggesting employing an actual 'centrifuge tube':  They
appear to be much too expensive for this purpose.  I am merely showing the
approximate simple shape that could be employed.)
Its location, when placed, is essentially arbitrary.   All cities, suburbs, and
towns, to say nothing of rural areas, are quite full of parks, fields, unbuilt
lots, golf courses, cemeteries, grassy medians, high-tension line
rights-of-way, gravel roads, beaches, and forested areas.  Almost all of that
could be employed to hide a tiny pipe whose presence would probably go
unnoticed for years, and certainly for hours and days.
The main requirement to find the store is a precise GPS system, ideally one
which can employ WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System), which usually will
provide a location accuracy of 1 meters.  That alone would probably be
sufficient.
If people are assumed to only have access to ordinary GPS receivers, such as
those in smartphones, I have also suggested using a plastic molded
"corner-cube" retroreflection device to accurately send back light (or, with an
IR-only filter, IR) to the searcher.  See Acrylite GP color 1146-0.
https://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass/acrylic-sheets/ir-transmitting   This
material can be placed over an ordinary clear-plastic retroreflector, and
according to the graph shown it retroreflects only 1% of 1% (or 0.01%; it loses
99% on each pass through the sheet.)   The retroreflection plane can be 'aimed'
in a specific direction, to make it even more unlikely to be accidentally found
by a random passer-by.
Another aid to finding such a cache would be to throw a few hundreds or
thousands of tiny (say, 1/100 inch diameter? polished glass beads, around the
target, after it was placed in a grassy area.  These glass beads would,
themselves, be somewhat retroreflective, but could only be seen from above as
the searcher gets close to the cache.  Or, a small retroreflection disk can be
placed, face-up, at or near the cache.
                 Jim Bell