karl's forays into certificate transparency

today i found an api server had a different fingerprint than i
expected and i didn't know what to do :throwing hands up in air:

i dunno what happened. it's hard to consider. i remember when i
learned about certificate transparency and it seemed so cool! i guess
i'd better learn what it is.
[again]

websearch : "how to check a certificate using transparency" (i was
going to learn thoroughly but impatience influence)
> Browse to your website, then click on its URL under "Main origin" (on the
> left, in the security tab). This will display security information about your
> website. Towards the bottom, there will be a section titled "Certificate
> Transparency", which will list the SCTs provided by your website.
https://github.com/google/certificate-transparency-community-site/blob/master/docs/google/getting-started.md

websearched sct transparency, got to
https://certificate.transparency.dev/howctworks/

i had to turn on javascript for the content to not cover itself up

SCT -> signed certificate timestamp

1422 :S :S :S :S :S

1425

ok um my browser i don't see SCTs for node2.bundlr.network . it says
it is a letsencrypt certificate that was issued mid-march and expires
mid-june? both of this year. short-term certificate.
i'd expect letsencrypt to participate in certificate transparency BUT
my browser is pretty old and may not show the fields.
maybe i can find a log and look for certificates for this domain name!

1428
ummmmmmmmmmmmm ok ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
both of the cert fingerprints are on crt.sh . i dunno if crt.sh is
legit it was just some hit from a websearch for ct logs. it seems
likely to be legit!
the older cert is from cloudfare. it hasn't been revoked.
the newer cert is from letsencrypt i guess. it's on fewer logs than
the older one.
:S
both of them expire in june of 2024

1437
so i'm looking at https://crt.sh/?q=bundlr.network and it's confusing,
it looks like 4 different certificates for bundlr.network were
registered on the same day this march, all for 3 months.
meanwhile, one was registered on february that has not yet expired.
all via letsencrypt .
i dunno whether this means they are handling cert generation issues or
if something funny is happening!
shouldn't letsencrypt give an explanation in situations like this? (i
suppose there is no channel for them to? or i haven't learned about it
;p)

1443
i've sent the link to the site owners. (on discord :S)
1443

1447
we think it has reasonable chance of being nonmalicious. (it looks
like ummm multiple entries in the log are sometimes made for a single
registration, multiple certificates for the same domain) (and the
difference we found was ummm cloudflare vs letsencrypt, which, both
have been registered side-by-side for some time, i think)
but it has gotten really tense! we are really unsure! karl's being
preventedish from engaging much further, from learning about it
futrher (probably so xboss can take charge)
karl is worried he left tension in the discord of the maintainers,
which is sadly being maintained
1449
  • Re: [spam][c... Undescribed Horrific Abuse, One Victim & Survivor of Many