On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Tim May wrote:

> (Yeah, if anyone spots a truly relevant item, commenting on it is
> welcome. Or posting a URL. But simple game theory says that it's best
> that people don't just bounce things they read to our list, something
> Choate, mattd, and Jei seem to not understand.)

Would you care to elaborate on that?

I don't see how game theory would prove your assertion.

The only party who would benefit of this "not posting" would be the
government. For them it is best that you don't connect to other than
government approved Truth sources.

My logic tells me it is best to ensure the widest coverage to issues you
care about, get as many sources as you can, and simply ram down the facts
as many people's troats as you can, and eliminate the PR your opposition
is trying to feed to your audience. (Maybe this is what you are trying?
:-) O.J. trials, FBI vs China-spy, Microsoft vs DOJ, US presidential
elections & related trials, Enron, Russia's president Putin & "Terrorism",
etc. all prove this.  He who does the better PR job, or control of all
popular media sources, simply wins, whether he was right or wrong.

That's how reality works. That's why and how the Israeli control the US
media and the reporting is so biased there every time it comes to the
Palestinians and Israel. Popularity polls for the US president and
congress are all that matter in directly deciding the whole of US foreign
policy. Nothing else matters.

That much is painfully clear to the rest of the world.

Breaking the rosy one-sided picture of Israeli behaviour
in the American media is one way of effecting those polls.

Maybe the relative concept of "cypherpunk list quality" suffers due to
crossposts but it has never been high (IMHO) on this list during it's
various incarnations, and it has always sooner or later come down to the
same "spammer" level of anarchistic reality, while the signal/noise ratio
draws infinitely closer to zero.

There are nice procmail scripts on the web useful for eliminating
messages containing sufficiently enough duplicated message content,
should you use other than this CypherPunks approved Reality Source.

But maybe you should consider NOT using any of the alternative news
sources instead? The news that I send you, the Truth which I tell you,
should be enough.

:-)