According to the report below, the WSJ hired its own
computer consultant to examine the Al Qaeda laptop.
But there is no mention of the consultant helping with
decrypts.

However, this report is referring to a December 2001
story by Cullison and Higgins, not the January 16 story
which describes Richard Reid's travels and encrypted
files.

Both Alan Cullison and Andrew Higgins have each had
one report in the WSJ since the Jan. 16 story. Perhaps
they are working on a report of the balance of the
files on the laptop.

Oddly, a WSJ-online search does not turn up the January
16 story, though dozens of other stories on Reid and
Pearl are listed before and after that story. That may be
due to a limit on the search.

Someone sent a link to a Slate story about UPI helping
the military:

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2062166

-----

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/
this_just_in/documents/02093041.htm

The Boston Phoenix, January 3-10, 2002

How the Journal got Al Qaeda's computers

By Dan Kennedy

This past Monday's Wall Street Journal led with an
astounding story about a personal computer that
had apparently been used by Al Qaeda terrorists to
plot the September assassination of Northern Alliance
leader Ahmed Shah Massoud. The computer's hard
drive also reportedly contained bioterrorism information
and a 23-minute video clip of Osama bin Laden
denouncing the United States and enthusing over
the September 11 attacks.

How the computer came to be acquired by the Journal
is a pretty amazing story in itself.

The article by staff reporters Alan Cullison and
Andrew Higgins offers a few details. A "Journal
reporter" purchased the IBM desktop computer, as well
as a Compaq laptop, in Kabul for a total of $1100 after
being told that they had been looted from an Al Qaeda

office following a US bombing raid. The article goes
on to say that US officials confirmed the authenticity
of the files, "and say they provide a trove of
information about the inner workings of the secretive
organization."

Intrigued, I sent e-mails to both reporters. Cullison, the
paper's Moscow correspondent, temporarily ensconced
in Washington, wrote back within a few hours.

"I was in need of a computer, because the one that the
Wall Street Journal issued me was smashed when the
car I was taking over the Hindu Kush Mountains lost
its brakes and rolled," Cullison said. "I was looking for
one, and was much more interested in this laptop and
the hard drive [from the IBM] when I heard it was used
by al Qaeda."

The Journal's foreign editor, John Bussey, says that
Cullison had been covering the Northern Alliance for
about a month and a half when his computer was
destroyed. Several weeks ago, after the liberation of
Kabul, Bussey says Cullison went computer shopping
and was told that the IBM and the Compaq had been
used in the headquarters of bin Laden's chief strategist,
Mohammed Atef, who died in a bombing raid in
November. Cullison purchased the equipment and was
reportedly able to determine rather quickly that there
was at least some evidence on the IBM's hard drive
that Al Qaeda files were indeed present.

At that point, Bussey says, Journal editors realized they
had to notify the US government. "Who knows?
Maybe there's a calendar of upcoming events," Bussey
explains. The Journal negotiated with the Department
of Defense to turn over the computers in Kabul the
next day. Before the handover, Bussey says, Cullison
and Higgins managed to copy the contents of the IBM
hard drive onto Journal equipment, although they were
unable to get past the Compaq's password-protection
scheme.

Working with the copied contents of the hard drive,
Cullison, Higgins, translators, and a computer expert
hired by the Journal spent eight days combing through
the files and preparing Monday's story. Defense
Department officials, meanwhile, verified the
authenticity of those files. The Compaq, though,
yielded nothing: government computer experts were
able to crack the password, but reported that all the
files had been erased.

"Sometimes chance and happenstance play an
incredible part in an incredible story," Bussey says.

So will there be more from the Al Qaeda computer
files? "I'll tell you later on," Bussey says, then adds
that he wants the Journal's computer expert to take
another look at the Compaq: "Is the laptop stuff really
erased? We'll have to see."

-----