We've noted here the rise in "lost" and "stolen" laptops
containing sensitive and classified information. First,
one or two disappeared while a spook was drunk or
was left behind in a taxi or taken from an unidentified
location.

Then amazing reports of more losses, the number rising
quickly, finally with surveys revealing hundreds of laptops
have been lost by spooks, cops, senior officals, nuclear
labs, state departments, and so on. Now and then encryption
is mentioned.

We can see that the lost laptop, and its recent corollary,
the discovered laptop, has become as useful for disinformation
as what is being found in newly revealed secret archives
like those reported today in the Wash Post, "Spies, Lies and
the Distortion of History:"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55522-2002Feb23.html

To be sure, the flood of lost laptops both diminishes the
credibility of what is on the laptops and increases it. One way
to increase credibility is to claim files are encrypted.

What we also know is that encrypted files are now a leading
indicator of credibility, along with the shadowy and enticing
methods used to decrypt by unidentified parties, and to then
carefully distribute the decrypted, authenticated thereby,
if demonized, material.

Whether there is actually sensitive material in the demonized
files is hard to determine so long as access to the original
files, and a credible account of how they were comeby is
not made available. As with the long history of astonishing
revelations of secrets, lies and videotapes.

Moving to a related topic, is the use of the Internet for

leaking and/or psyopping disinformation, in particular
the use of honeypots.

Cryptome is occasionally charged with being a honeypot,
and it could be, wittingly so if we are succesful in putting
up lurid material to bring in more luridities. A question
though is what information is being gathered by Cryptome
honeypot? The access logs, the pattern and content of
publication, the receipt of hot material, the distribution
of lies and deceptions? And if these are the profits of the
honeypot how is the data collection about them being
done?

We dream of being able to watch the honeypot harvestors
at work, which accounts for admitting to running a honeypot,
our lost laptop if you will. This hoary rabbit-running practice,
you being the rabbit, as we see here with several practitioners,
carries a Daniel Pearl-like risk. You may well lose your head
to somebody who believes you are a wolf not merely a
headgames-player.