hi,

An extract frm this months cryptogram goes as below.

On the other hand, if you ever find a product that
actually uses a one-time pad, it is almost certainly
unusable and/or insecure.
So, let me summarize.  One-time pads are useless for
all but very specialized applications, primarily
historical and non-computer.  And almost any system
that uses a one-time pad is insecure.  It will claim
to use a one-time pad, but actually use a two-time pad
(oops).  Or it will claims to use a one-time pad, but
actually use a steam cipher.  Or it will use a
one-time pad, but won't deal with message
re-snchronization and re-transmission attacks.  Or it
will ignore
message authentication, and be susceptible to
bit-flipping attacks and
the like.  Or it will fall prey to keystream reuse
attacks.  Etc.,
etc., etc.

Though it has a large key length greater than or equal
to the plain text,why would it be insecure if we can
use a good pseudo random number generators,store the
bits produced on a taper proof medium.

how about this way

P=Plain text
C=Cipher text
R=Pseudo random bits(the pad)

To transmit a secret frm point A to Point B

Choose ur agent-Send cipher text(C) to B.
If( Cipher text C is intercepted,do not send R.)

without R, C cannot be decrypted

Else(If C is securely transmitted to point B,choose an
agent and send R to point B)

If R is intercepted the secret remains safe,since they
donot have C.
If initially C was intercepted ,R is not send,another
pad is chosen.

It is assumed that the agent is trust worthy.Also the
agent has to send receipt
for the safe arrival of C at point B before R is
transmitted.
It is also assumed that cryptographical secure pseudo
random numbers are use.

Cryptography does not address the problem of dishonest
users-does it?

The difficulty for attaining highest security is more.

why do we always have to rely on the internet for
sending the pad?If it is physically carried to the
receiver we can say for sure if P or R is intercepted.

can some one answer the issues involved that one time
pads is not a good choice.
Thank you

Regards Sarath.