Michael Motyka wrote...

"Now to return your serve : back to NYC, Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground 1966. White Light White Heat 1967. As close to the egg as I can place any band in style and in spirit. If it were necessary to name one band as the progenitors of punk the Velvet Underground gets my vote."

Gold star. Velvet Underground is definitely ground zero for Punk to my ears, but with this recent set of pre-Velvets minimalist releases (eg, Dream Theater, with LaMount Young, John Cale--who helped start the band I was in, and others), the stage was somewhat set.

(Auto-edit on the history of early NYC-centric punk rock and its analogy to the Cypherpunks list.)

-TD