> Gold star. Velvet Underground is definitely ground zero for Punk to my ears,
> but with this recent set of pre-Velvets minimalist releases (eg, Dream
> Theater, with LaMount Young, John Cale--who helped start the band I was in,
> and others), the stage was somewhat set.

Yeah, yeah, yeah; I loved the Velvets too - but the stuff we Brits
called "punk" in 1976 was quite unlike that, except for being a bit
raucous.  It was more derived from a kind of mutated pub-rock mated with
football chants, with undertones of Hawkwind-like bass riffs, played by
semi-competent nerds.

NY invented punk first.  Then London invented something else and stole
the name. So sue us.