On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 3:45 AM, mark florisson
<markflorisso...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 January 2011 12:31, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 3:27 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan...@behnel.de>
>> wrote:
>> > Robert Bradshaw, 14.01.2011 12:12:

>> > Ok, that looks better.
>> >
>> > Now that the debugger support is an official feature, should we have a
>> > Hudson job that builds Cython and all tests with gdb support enabled?
>>
>> Yes, that would make sense. We'd have to build our own newer gdb of
>> course, and a debug version of Python.
>>
>> - Robert
>
> That would be great. In that case, is it possible that my branch will make
> it to Hudson? Otherwise Hudson will only be useful after merging into
> mainline, which is probably just a few hours or days before the release. In
> any case it would also help prevent for instance the issue we had now where
> my branch did introduce a problem just before the release (in the future I
> will run the full test suite instead of skipping some of them with those
> options to runtests.py). If that's a hassle I wouldn't mind mainline branch
> access either, I promise I'll be good :)

I've read enough of your code that I think that'd be fine. I think it
makes sense to have a separate branch for the debugger stuff so things
could be caught before merging.

> The important thing is Python with debug symbols, it does not necessarily
> have to be a debug build. The thing is that at least many Linux distros ship
> debug symbols with the debug build (usually Python is compiled with -g, but
> then stripped). This is for instance the case in Ubuntu (and probably
> Debian). However, in Fedora for instance even the debug build is shipped
> without symbols, and they need to be installed separately.

We build our own Pythons, so could include debug symbols in them.
Other than that, is the only requirement to have a working gdb >= 7.2
in the path somewhere?

- Robert