(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      d...@dafyomi.co.il

Eruvin 060: Mishnah Out of Place

hg asks:

Who and What explanation is there in why this mishnah talsk about eruv
chatzeros in the middle of the perek on eruv techumim when it could have
been in the next one?

hg, spring valley usa
The Kollel replies:

I think this question should in fact be on Eruvin 59, not 60 as the title
says, because the question appears to be why does the Mishnah on 59a
(concerning the city belonging to an individual, which deals with Eruv
Chatzeros) belong in this chapter?

1) The Me'iri, in his introduction to the fifth chapter of Eruvin, writes
that this Mishnah is not of the same subject matter as the rest of the
chapter, but some topics of Eruvei Chatzeros were included tangentially.
The Me'iri does not explain why these topics were included. (However, I
think that the explanations that we will bring now, b'Siyata d'Shmaya,
might also explain why these topics of Eruvei Chatzeros were included, and
the Me'iri does not necessarily mean that this Mishnah has absolutely no
connection to our chapter, but rather that it strayed somewhat from the
main topic of the fifth chapter.)

2) The Tosfos Chadashim, printed in the Mishnayos, also asks your question:
this Mishnah should have come in the next chapter, which deals with Eruvei
Chatzeros. He answers that possibly this Mishnah is a continuation of the
previous Mishnah (end of 58b) that says that even an Eved or Shifchah are
believed to tell us the location of the Shabbos boundary. We are not
worried that the Eved or Shifchah forgot after such a long time where the
Techum is. In a similar way, we are also lenient concerning the "Ir Shel
Yachid." Even after it became a city belonging to many people, we still say
that it retains the origianl status of the private city, and one may make
Eruv Chatzeros in the entire city. We are not worried that a long time
afterwards, people will forget that it was originally an Ir Shel Yachid and
will come to say that we can learn from this city that even an Ir Shel
Rabim may have an Eruv Chatzeros in the entire city and it does not require
any houses to be left without an Eruv.
In other words, the fact that our Mishnah is adjacent to the Mishnah about
the Eved and Shifchah teaches that we may assume that people have long
memories. Just as we rely on the Eved or Shifchah to testify where the
Shabbos boundary is even a long time afterwards, so we rely on the fact
that people will remember a long time later on that this city was at one
time an Ir Shel Yachid.

3) The Tiferes Yisrael #39 takes the connection of our Mishnah with the
Mishnah about Eved or Shifchah a little further. It teaches us that an Eved
or Shifchah are also believed to say that the city was previously an Ir
Shel Yachid and only afterwards became an Ir Shel Rabim.

Kol Tuv,
Dovid Bloom

The *D*AFYOMI *A*DVANCEMENT *F*ORUM, brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf

Write to us at d...@dafyomi.co.il or visit us at http://www.dafyomi.co.il
Tel/Fax(US): 646-820-3315; Fax(Isr): (02) 591-6024; Tel(Isr): (02) 651-5004