(Please include header and footer when redistributing this material.)

                 THE DAFYOMI DISCUSSION LIST

      brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Yerushalayim
             Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
                      d...@dafyomi.co.il

Temurah 015: Rule of Shaul

David Goldman asks:

Why do some meforshim give a lengthy time to the rule of Shaul before he died when we have explicit information that he ruled only a total of 3 years? The lengthier times suggested by some moforshim (1 Shmuel 13:1) would mean that Shaul ruled at the time Shilo was destroyed (14 years before Dovid was anointed), yet there is not a single mention of Shmuel having made Shaul king when Eli was still alive and Shilo still existed.

David Goldman, NYC
The Kollel replies:

I do not know to which specific Meforshim you refer, however the Ralbag and Rabeinu Yeshaya (the Rid) both explain this Pasuk differently than the Seder Olam. The Ralbag says that the Pasuk means that the following events took place two years after Shaul became king. In this case we can assume that Shaul remained king for longer than two years. The Rid says that even though we only count two years for Shaul as the Seder Olam learns from this Pasuk, this is because we do not count the years when he acted as king after Shmuel secretly anointed Dovid. According to both these explanations it would seem that ShaulÂ’s rule is extended into years later than he ruled according to the Seder Olam, and not earlier.

Dov Freedman