On Sat, 14 Mar 2015, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

EAI email *addresses* ARE UTF-8 by definition.  There is simply no
mechanism to signal any other encoding, either in SMTP envelopes
or in primary message headers (where one can signal the encoding
of "phrases" like the display name, but not the address itself.
But if this is not obvious to everyone, it may be helpful to say so.

Yes, that surely deserves to be stated more clearly in the draft.

2) Section 3, it should probably reference RFC5322 instead of 2822? In fact,
would it make more sense to reference RFC5321 instead of RFC5322?

You are right, that would make more sense. If no one objects, I will
make that change.

I object.  You're not discussing SMTP, you're discussing email.  Email
addresses are defined in RFC 822/2822/5322 (5322 Section 3.4.1 addr-spec).

        http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.4.1

Any particular transport (SMTP say) representation of email addresses
seems to me to be the wrong object to describe here.

Point taken here as well. Thanks Viktor!

Paul