Hi all,

I've pushed a patch to the screened (bleeding-edge) repository that changes the
Darcs UI in the following way:

* darcs send just generates a patch bundle (equivalent to darcs-2.8 send -O)
* darcs send --mail by itself sends the bundle via sendmail (no file saved;
equivalent to darcs-2.8 send)
* darcs send --mail -O should ignores the --mail flag (likewise with -o) (the
idea being that if you put --mail in your defaults, you can still override it)

If this change is accepted, it will filter through to the Darcs 2.10 release.
If you use darcs send to communicate patches with your team, it's worth making
note of this change (the UI will remind you).

The thinking behind this is a belief that people these days don't generally
have a mailer properly configured on their computer (one that provides a
sendmail) command, and a more useful workflow for such users is just for it to
be convenient to create patch bundle files that they can email by hand.

Basically darcs send (--mail) is great for users like me who use Darcs on a
daily basis, but perhaps not so great for somebody who's just trying darcs out,
or forced to use it to interact with their Darcs-using friends.  It'd be a
really bad thing for them if darcs send were to succeed and mysteriously dump
your patch into a blackhole (your improperly configured mailer's queue)

http://bugs.darcs.net/issue2204

It's likely that I've not seen the whole picture here, so any feedback you
might have would be appreciated.

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>