As a user of darktable who also follows the dev list, this looks really good. Yesterday I found a shot that I thought could use a little of this module. Another option with it also may be to use a parametric mask to only target the brighter areas of the image, which is often where the haze occurs.

In any case, I hope to try this module.

Jason

On 2017-02-21 08:02 AM, Heiko Bauke wrote:
haze removal means basically to remove the diffuse background light that
is reflected by the haze in the into the direction of the camera.  Thus
the image gets slighty darker.  This is similar to when one reduces the
brightness in sky regions to get a nice blue sky.

One should be aware that the automatic haze removal module is not a
magic bullet.  It may even lead to undesirable artifacts, depending on
the input image and the chosen parameters.  The quality of the final
image depends of the input image of course.  Garbage in, garbage out. It
is beneficial, when the RAW image is well-exposed.  Thus, the example
that I have shown before might not be optimal to promote the haze
removal module.  Furthermore,  best results are expected when the haze
removal module is combined with other modules.  For example, I would
start to remove the haze from an image using the haze removal module and
then increase the clarity via the equalizer and enhance the colors by
the velvia module and possibly further modules.

Nevertheless, I think the haze removal module will be a powerful and
valuable tool that can help to improve hazy images and gives very good
results in many cases.

    Heiko