I am fully understand now that my system that runs with 2 monitors is beyond the capability of the 2 Gb. graphics memory. If I unplug my graphics display external monitor from the laptop OpenCL functions correctly but with 2 monitors the system is failing. Is it possible for me to blacklist my primary monitor in a way that memory is freed-up for the graphics display? If so, how would I do that .. can I do it through the Nvidia X Server Settings?

David

On 2019-03-11 12:12 a.m., Andreas Schneider wrote:
On Friday, March 8, 2019 5:09:23 PM CET Sturm Flut wrote:
Hi Bjoern,

hm, Global memory size is 5.78GiB and Max allocation size is 2.89GiB. I
had a look at darktable's OpenCL code and opencl_memory_requirement from
darktablerc is compared against CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE. So in your
case that should be 512 MB < 5.78GiB and the device should be used.

The relevant error message should be "[opencl_init] discarding device
$DEVICE due to insufficient global memory ($GLOBAL_MEM MB)". Do you see
that error message when running darktable with "-d opencl", and if yes,
what does it say?

I would understand it if the device/driver was blacklisted, or if the
system didn't have enough memory, but I'm curious as to why it works
when you set opencl_memory_requirement to slightly less than 512 MB. It
feels like a rather arbitrary limit.
Intel's Beignet OpenCL driver is blacklisted as it doesn't work!

See also the 'darktable-cltest' command.