Define 'most focused'.

I give you an example to understand this request better.

I shoot (tango) dancers in low light. A lot of shots are shoulders and heads only. Because I shoot in low light I use a very fast, manual lens at full aperture (f/0.95).

In a burst sequence of seven shots that my Sony produces one will have the closest eye of the couple in focus. This only means a few pixels of the focus plane intersecting the face somehow. That's usually the best picture. The rest are for the bin.

However, an adjacent picture that is completely useless may have the chest in focus which covers many more pixels than the face.

How should darktable decide which is the 'most focused'?

I think the only way to solve this well is with ML and possibly user input about the intent. No magic bullet exists for this type of problem.

.mm