That can be easily done by computing the L2 norm of the laplacian of the
pictures, or the L2 norm of the first level of wavelets decomposition
(which is used in the focus preview), and taking the maximum.

As usual, it will be more work to wire the UI to the functionality than
writing the core image processing.