On Sat, Nov 2, 2019, at 01:49, Christian wrote:

> With the crop coming first, the gradient on the picture is depending
> on the cropping!
>
> For me, the gradient filter belongs to the biginning of
> the pipe like it is the case for hardware filters,

That does seem a little bit weird, I'm not sure if there's a reason for it
being that way, other than the one discussed below...

> and crop/rotate should be applied at the end of
> the pipe.

Well... this is where the analogy between non-destructive editors and paint
type software breaks down somewhat... if the cropping module as currently
implemented was at the end of the pipe, it would have to be recomputed for
every little edit you made... this could be quite a performance hit if you had
rotation and "keystoning" stuff enabled... as well as the fact that you would
be processing image areas that would later be thrown away (although I think
this might happen already in some cases). There may be other reasons too
(including having the early-pipe vignetting I described earlier auto-scale to
the cropped image!).

I seem to remember seeing some discussion from some time ago about moving the
rotation and perspective functions out of the cropping module, maybe combining
them with the lens correction module and reducing the number of interpolation
operations... not sure what happened with that idea, but now that the major
reworking is in place, maybe some of this stuff will eventually be reconsidered
within the new context.

--
jys