hi,

of course everybody has an encrypted rootfs of some sort..

but this is still a good question in terms of work flow. i would use a
file containing a luks encrypted file system, and mount it on demand.

if you're importing these images into your regular darktable database
however, the thumbnails will still show up unencrypted in
~/.cache/darktable/, which may defeat the purpose. you can of course
put a separate library and cache dir into the container, too, and use
--library and --cachedir or even --configdir to make sure dt runs only
on these images and the thumbnails stay inside the box.

if you're only worried about a handful of pictures, this procedure may
be overkill.. and certainly a per-file encryption (gnupg?) together
with a flag inside the brain of dt to treat the thumbnails
confidentially may be more convenient: you can continue to use your
regular db and until you go for decryption, dt would only show skull
icons/similar for the respective files.

cheers,
 jo