No, I don't want to discard the history stacks of all/selected images, I
just want to compress them.

It doesn't really matter as compressing the history stack doesn't really do
anything to the resulting image. It's just one of those things that
annoying me to have one longer than "needed".  I wish there was a "super
compress" that woukd not only compress it but also remove all modules that
are turned off.  I do though understand why they don't delete those by
default when compression though.