hi,

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 3:09 AM, PkmX <pkmx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> The applied-by-default base curves and sharpening modules are also
> disabled.
>
> This is the RAW image with no denoising applied, to give an idea how
> bad the noises are in the photo:
> http://i.imgur.com/AgxvKby.jpg
>
> For reference this is denoised with RawTherapee with mode = lab,
> quality = high, luminance = 20, luminance detail = 10, automatic
> global chroma denoise, 3x3 median filter:
> http://i.imgur.com/hiXMklL.jpg
> RawTherapee eliminated nearly all chromatic noise and the luma noise
> left in the background are very fine and looks pretty non-obtrusive.
> It also preserves the details on the dog fur very nicely.
>
> The first attempt with darktable is using the recommended profiled
> denoise module in NLM mode on HSV lightness and another in Wavelet
> mode with HSV color at default strength:
> http://i.imgur.com/WGN5Y03.jpg
> This produces some blotches of luma noise in the background area which
> in my opinion is very distracting (which is further complicated by the
> fact that it brightens up the darker areas which makes it look worse).
> There are still larger patches of colorful noise visible and the
> details on the fur are almost completely wiped out.
>
> This another attempt using profile denoise. This time I switched to
> wavelet mode in the lightness instance with 50% blend to combat the
> blotchness, turned the strength of wavelet chromatic denoise to 4.0,
> and set color smoothing in AMaZE to 5 times:
> http://i.imgur.com/YaBAAJR.jpg
> This eliminates more noises while keeping a lot more details in the
> fur, but there are still some patterns visible in the background. The
> whole image also got a purple tint and at 100% view you can easily see
> some of those purple artifacts in the darker areas of image.
>
> The next is probably my go-to way of noise removal on high ISO images
> in darktable now. I used the equalizer's denoise preset with mix 2.0
> and the lowpass module with radius=10 and lab color blending to apply
> a really strong chromatic denoise:
> http://i.imgur.com/wx0QGZN.jpg
> This looks a lot better even though some colorful patches are still
> visible in the darker areas, and the luma noise are now very similar
> to the result of RawTherapee. The downside is that it desaturates the
> image and smears the color (compare the red heart in the bottom-right
> corner, though it also removes the CA so I guess it isn't too bad :)).
> The processing is super fast compared to profiled denoise.
>
> This is another attempt, this time using the "denoise (bilateral
> filter)" instead of lowpass.
> http://i.imgur.com/I4WIvQy.jpg
> This wipes out all chromatic noise but also seems to wash out the
> photo and give it a slight purple tint.
>
> Finally, this is the result of aforementioned denoise_chinese dtstyle:
> http://i.imgur.com/NrQy3NV.jpg
> I guess the strength of noise removal of the style isn't high enough

my try:

https://jo.dreggn.org/noisydog.jpg

xmp in jpg: something with near linear base curve, equalizer, and no
sharpening. not sure about the colours, they are just different.

in general for such super high iso noise the noise profiles are often
times off due to strange effects (noise model breaking down, vendor
pre-processing or whatever). also i find i can get better results with
manual equalizer operation than with the profiled denoising, but
that's a matter of taste and time i want to spend on an image.

-jo