@ Patrick, thank you! I will give that a try.

About half of the photos are raw files, the rest are jpgs. Does the fix you
mention only work on raw files?

The images are from a Fuji X-T10, and for many of my darker indoor shots
(behind-the-scenes concert photography, in this case), it's easier to get
what I want by working with the associated jpgs. Otherwise I find myself
having to fiddle with the base curve a lot more than I can afford to,
time-wise.

Fuji must use a lot of complex AI in its in-camera jpg processing, because
I can't seem to come up with a single good basecurve to serve as a starting
point. The one included with dt is always wrong in the darker areas, and
requires very touchy minute adjustments (even touchy in the logarithmic
view) that are really hard to control. When shooting Canon, I used to only
play with the raw files, as the profiles for it in dt gave me a really good
starting point. It's much harder with Fuji's x-trans files, hence my
working with jpgs.

-Mark