On 22/05/2017 01:18, Guillermo Rozas wrote:

Darktable has a definite order in which modules are
applied and by default each module is applied only once. When you
apply a style that contains modules that already are in the history
stack you're not applying the module twice, you're just replacing the
original instance of the module by the new one in the style (possibly
with different options).

I cannot truly confirm this. This is what I tried:
- create my style including: base curve, orientation, lens correction
- open a ARW file in Darktable
- apply my style
- resulting history stack has duplicates

See: https://imgur.com/a/DkPDx
XMP file generated (history items have identical base64 content):
https://pastebin.com/i2yU34T4

Removing the XMP does nothing from Darktable's point of view.
Darktable's "true" about an image history stack is in its internal
database, the XMP files are convenient to have for backup/migration
purposes but are not explicitly used (unless you tell Darktable to
check for changes on startup, and only then).

Thank you Guillermo. It was great to have a second opinion confirming my hypotheses after a lot of trial-and-error.

The current way that styles work might be a bit intimidating for a newcomer, but after you got how that works, it's ok.

Regards,