Hi, if I have to upscale an image I usually use Reshade from www.reshade.com
it is a free app the works very well although its only for windows but works
fine under wine. Oh and its also free. If I ever have a problem with noise I
use Neat Image https://ni.neatvideo.com/ they have a free linux version that
is limited to save only in jpg but has support for opencl / cuda GPU
processing and it gives unbelievably good results.

Tim.