These are the most impressive results I'm aware of:

https://github.com/david-gpu/srez
https://github.com/alexjc/neural-enhance
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1609.04802.pdf

but both gives the best results with specialized training (faces for
example). The one Michael proposed seems a more generic one.
No idea about performance but "execution" time is usually fast, memory may
be a much bigger requirement.

This one is about noise reduction:

http://webdav.is.mpg.de/pixel/files/neural_denoising/paper.pdf

I think in a couple of years machine learning will be the only way to
achieve state of the art results for about anything. If not today already.

Noise, white balance, clipping recovery, blurry/out of focus shots, color
casts, lens correction, defringe, sharpening, inpainting, etc. Up to this
(pose edit, content generation):

https://github.com/nightrome/really-awesome-gan
https://www.slideshare.net/Artifacia/generative-adversarial-networks-and-
their-applications (slide 24, 27)