Hi Mark,

I'm on Mint 18.1 Cinnamon which is basically the same so to include newest darktable and calibration software Guillermo mentioned you go to a terminal and type:

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:pmjdebruijn/darktable-release
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y darktable

for the latest darktable and

sudo apt-get install -y argyll gnome-color-manager dispcalgui

for the calibration tools.
For scanning with my Coolscan 4000 film scanner I use Vuescan http://www.hamrick.com
Hope that helps

--