Hi Patrick,

I  have manually deleted the file from the virus chest in Avast, as well as
all reference to where I had installed on the D: drive.

Re-downloaded the Darktable install file, updated again the Avast program,
engine and virus definitions.

I have now tried re-installing to a different location with a different
name.

As I initially used d:\Program Files\Darktable 2.4.0\    to which I have
changed to d:\Program Files\Darktable\

Funnily enough the "error opening file..." Dialog box has disappeared and
now the program fully installs without error.

Maybe Avast has rectified something in their virus definitions but even with
a file, directory and whole PC virus scan

No errors or virus signature comes up.

I have seen nothing else in the forums either, so, obviously it's something
with me.

With no errors and no virus, I guess it's very safe to say that it must have
been a false positive.

I am sorry to trouble you, and thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Frank