Hi
I'm on darktable 2.4.2 on xubuntu 16.04.

I notice (for quite some versions now) that simply switching on the
"shadows and highlighs" module has already an effect.

What I learned from this list is, that simply switching on a module
without modifying any of its parameters should not have an effect, in
general. Exceptions would only occur if some "out-of-range" values in
the image would have to be sanitized before/while piping the data
through the new module. Am I right?

My example image looks rather sane, e. g. the raw overexposed indicator
shows nothing.

Now I'm not actually complaining, simply switching on the module is
already going in the direction I wanted to go anyway, so no real problem
here.
But I just wonder if that works as designed.

Here's the sample:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktudwgz4aes4bh1/20180414-093306-MIST1616.DNG?dl=0

Best regards,
        Michael