More memory is good because it allows you to process images through opencl without tiling them, which is a lot faster. Of course this depends on the resolution of the images you need to process, but I'd always try to get the most video ram possible.

I think you can do darktable -d opencl to see if your images are currently
being tiled.

Regards,

Rob