Normand Fortier (2019-Feb-06, excerpt):
> We need the display profile to display the image on the monitor that DT is
> using, but the ultimate destination of the image is something different: it
> could be the Web (sRGB) or a printer. In my case I export images with
> ProPhoto and then the Turboprint driver applies the correct profile for the
> printer and paper combination.

This is exactly my understanding as well.  Unfortunately, my knowledge
is *very* imited, I'm just a user, far from an expert!

> In other words the display profile and the output profile (meaning: the
> profile that will be used for export) are different and should be treated
> distinctly in DT. As M. Moy said in an earlier post (same thread):
> "A more rigorous approach would run the image through the pipeline up to the
> output color profile, and then export to monitor space to display the image
> and to another monitor-independant space for the picker and histogram."
> I think this is also what S. Klinger what referring to in yet another post
> from same thread:

Yes.  In my understanding, the whole idea of color management is to
give on screen the *impression* of what an image would look like when
printed.  From that perspective, I don't see why I'd want to know the
pixel values used to do so on screen, *unless* exporting for exactly
that screen.

Doing it different from what Matthieu Moy said sounds broken to me.
But I wonder: When I'd like to know the color that appears in the
output, then by what means?  E.g., if the output was a CMYK printer,
what should the color picker do?  Tell me the CMYK values?  Or RGB
values derived from them?  In the latter case, I doubt it would be the
same values as passed to the screen.

I do not know...

--
http://stefan-klinger.de                                        o/X
I prefer receiving plain text messages, not exceeding 32kB.     /\/