* fht233 <fht...@gmail.com> [01-01-70 12:34]:
> Hi, first of all I have to say that it is a great software and I like a
> lot.
> Regarding the topic, from my point of view as a relative new user I think
> that the lens correction topic could be a pain and makes the learning curve
> a bit more step.  In this case would be very helpful to have for example a
> setting somewhere: "Apply lens correction by default", (when posible to
> apply).
> This setting could be active by default (in my opinion) or not. I dont know
> if this would have some negative effect in some cases.  I think that other
> software and even some cameras do it by default to produce the jpg.
> The problem for a new user is that at some point you realize that the lens
> correction is not applied to any of your photos (at least it was my case).
> Then you click on the module and it works fine, great. But the next thing
> you expect is that it is active for all photos by default and not having to
> do it explicitily every session.
> Here you have to start investigating the documentation and googling, then
> you have to understand what are the presets, how to program one, etc. It
> works with new photos, great. But then you realize that it doesn't work for
> the existing photos, reimporting doesnt help.
> Some more googling and you understand that it is because those photos
> already had a sidecar and then the preset is not applied, good to know.
> Well, all together is a pain and I spent a lot of time for something that
> seems very basic.
>
> Maybe it was already discussed or it is not a good idea But I think that a
> clear and understable setting would be easier than having to perform all
> the investigation and setting up things by yourself when you are not yet
> familiar with the software and the terms. Googling and finding 'activate
> the setting' would be easier than having to learn to set up the preset by
> yourself, IMHO.
> It is just an idea trying to help, maybe there are better options or it is
> not posible at all.
> Thanks!

you provide a lot of information about your desires, but sadly very little
about your system or dt version.  iianm, what you desire is available and
has been for some time.  there is a preset for the "lens correction"
module, "Auto Apply Lens Correction" but you must set the module on
perhaps using a style.  mine is on but forgive ancient memory I cannot see
how.

fwiw: openSUSE Tumbleweed
      darktable git507.3a9b488eb

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode