$ git describe
    release-3.0.0-291-gd0b1edd12

Hi,

I don't get it.  “filmic rgb”, “scene”: From my understanding of a
video [1] by Aurélien, “white relative exposure” (wre) and “black
relative exposure” (bre) set how far the the black and white points in
my input's dynamic range are away from the point I've chosen as
“middle grey luminance” (mgl).  If they were set to, e.g.,

    wre = 4.33 EV
    bre = -8.47 EV

then the dynamic range into which my input is embedded would span

    wre - bre= 12.8 EV

because black is 8.47 EV *below* grey (hence negative), and white is
4.33 EV above, spanning 12.8 EV.

Now when I move mgl slider, the total dynamic range should stay the
same (he said something about the relative values being adopted).

But they don't!

I've got, only by changing mgl,

    wre = 2.89 EV
    bre = -7.03 EV

which give a reduced total dynamic range of

    wre - bre = 9.92 EV

However, the alert reader may have noticed that the *sum* of wre and
bre is of course the same

    4.33 EV - 8.47 EV  =  -4.14 EV  =  2.89 EV - 7.03 EV

But this sum does not mean anything, or does it?  My understanding of
this may very well be seriously fucked up, or there might be a sign
error in “filmic” (that nobody has noticed?!).

Can anyone explain this?

Cheers,
Stefan

[1]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbPj_TqTF88

--
Dr. Stefan Klinger -- Informatiker, Mathematiker              o/X
https://stefan-klinger.de                                     /\/