On Mon, 9 Nov 2020 at 17:26, tony Hamilton <shaky.st...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Running Linux Mint 20 and dt 3.2.1. Hovering the mouse over the 'input
> color profile' module, 'input profile' parameter (currently set to
> 'embedded ICC profile') produces help/guidance information: "ICC
> profiles in /home/user/.config/darktable/color/in or
> usr/share/darktable/color/in".

Those are INPUT profiles (e.g. for cameras and scanners). Anything
under /home/<username> is only available for the given user.
/usr/share is shared files, shipped by your Linux distribution,
managed via packages
/home/user/.local/share/ICC - user-level, but not darktable specific.
/usr/local/share is also shared, the root user can place unmanaged
files (not coming from packages of the distro) there.

If you calibrate your screen using dispcalgui, it's going to use path
described here:
https://displaycal.net/#userdata --> so to
/home/<username>/.local/share/DisplayCAL/storage

You can (logged on as root) copy them to
/usr/local/share/dispcalGUI/storage/ (or maybe dispcalgui or some
Linux colour management configuration tool can do that?). Personally,
I've copied them to a shared but user-writeable directory, and load
them using dispwin when launching darktable, since there was a time
when I had issues loading them via the nice GUI config tools (probably
caused by my lack of understanding), like this:
dispwin -I "/use/an/arbitrary/path/that/you/like/dispcalGUI/storage/HP
ZR22w 2015-10-11 D6500 2.2 M-S 3xCurve+MTX/HP ZR22w 2015-10-11 D6500
2.2 M-S 3xCurve+MTX.icc"
I've put this into a shell script, which is invoked by my other shell
script that loads my self-compiled darktable (dev version).

Kofa