OK, just made an interesting discovery which might give somebody an idea of
what's going on. Hint: I still don't have a clue!
I've installed 2 versions from github.
The afore-mentioned 3.4 build in opt/darktable/3.4 AND a build of 3.5
installed in opt/darktable/master
I have 2 bash scripts (big thanks to CodingDave for the assistance there!)
which I use for launching.
The first looks like so:

#!/bin/bash
/opt/darktable-3.4/bin/darktable --library
~/.cache/darktable/3.4/darktable_3.4.db --configdir ~/.cache/darktable/3.4/

And the master version looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
/opt/darktable/master/bin/darktable --library
~/.cache/darktable/master/darktable_master.db --configdir
~/.cache/darktable/master/

Now, I THOUGHT that by putting the library and config files into separate
directories, I would be free of any conflicts.
But I've just noticed that Collections I was saving in 3.4 are showing up
in my copy of 3.5 as well. So somewhere, a directory or a file is being
shared.
Can anyone help me out with what I've missed here?
Many thanks (in advance).
Cheers,
Bruce Williams
Mobile:  +61 41 250 6349