* David Vincent-Jones <david...@gmail.com> [01-17-21 12:57]:
> After using dt for many years I find myself totally confused with the latest
> filing system. I have always relied on a date based hierarchy and augmented
> with extensive tagging. I have used tags for both simple elements as well as
> 'projects'. I assume that what I called projects now forms the basis of
> collections. Being unable now to simply sort by folder hierarchy is really
> quite a nuisance.
>
> On 2021-01-16 9:53 p.m., Bruce Williams wrote:
> > OK, just made an interesting discovery which might give somebody an idea of
> > what's going on. Hint: I still don't have a clue!
> > I've installed 2 versions from github.
> > The afore-mentioned 3.4 build in opt/darktable/3.4 AND a build of 3.5
> > installed in opt/darktable/master
> > I have 2 bash scripts (big thanks to CodingDave for the assistance there!)
> > which I use for launching.
> > The first looks like so:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > /opt/darktable-3.4/bin/darktable --library
> > ~/.cache/darktable/3.4/darktable_3.4.db --configdir ~/.cache/darktable/3.4/
> >
> > And the master version looks like this:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > /opt/darktable/master/bin/darktable --library
> > ~/.cache/darktable/master/darktable_master.db --configdir
> > ~/.cache/darktable/master/
> >
> > Now, I THOUGHT that by putting the library and config files into separate
> > directories, I would be free of any conflicts.
> > But I've just noticed that Collections I was saving in 3.4 are showing up
> > in my copy of 3.5 as well. So somewhere, a directory or a file is being
> > shared.
> > Can anyone help me out with what I've missed here?
> > Many thanks (in advance).
> > Cheers,
> > Bruce Williams
> > ------------------------------
> > Mobile:  +61 41 250 6349
> >
> > brucewilliamsphotography.com
> > shuttersincpodcast.com
> >
> > e-mail <stu...@audio2u.com> | Twitter <http://twitter.com/@audio2u> |
> > LinkedIn <http://au.linkedin.com/pub/bruce-williams/1/318/489> | Facebook
> > <http://www.facebook.com/audio2u> | Soundcloud
> > <http://www.soundcloud.com/audio2u> | Quora
> > <https://www.quora.com/profile/Bruce-Williams-5>

I don't see that anything has changed with the "folder hierarchy".  I am
still able to sort on directory as I have been as long as I can remember.

and collections still work as before, they are merly another way to sort
and they still work as they have as long as I can remember.  there are
more possible parameters, objects to sort upon.

What seems to be the problem?  the only changes I notice are enhancements
to the existing sorting methods.

Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo               paka @ IRCnet freenode