The release of dt 3.4 renewed our interest in integrating darktable (64 bits)
into our Windows 10 based photo workflow. We would appreciate guidance on
achieving reasonable responsiveness during initial screening of photos after
importing them into darktable, i.e. the time it takes until thumbnails are
displayed (1) when opening a folder for the first time in lighttable view, and
(2) when using the slider to change the size of thumbnails.

In our aim to improve responsiveness we already:

  1.  run the "darktable-generate-cache" binary (without parameters)
immediately after importing to ensure that thumbnails for all images exist
before starting the screening phase; and
  2.  collapse grouped photos (JPEG/RAW pairs) to half the number of thumbnails
that need to be displayed at any time.

Are there other options worth considering? When dealing with hundreds of images
a day during peak periods the optimal approach might be involving darktable
only after the initial screening is completed.