I'm doing something similar to track how my newly-planted California
natives are growing.

I'm taking the photos one month apart. To keep the photos similar I'm
fixing the ISO and f-stop and taking them 30 minutes before sunset to
reduce shadows and keep the light somewhat constant. That seems to be
working pretty well. That strategy might be helpful in your case.

My backend processing isn't quite as automated as yours. As each monthly
photo comes in, I perform some normal processing on it and give it
unique tags that I can later use to export for importing into iMovie and
appending to my time-lapse movie.

Bill Wohler <woh...@newt.com> aka <bill.woh...@nasa.gov>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/, GnuPG ID:610BD9AD