Wow. That was a very UNKIND email, Patrick Shanahan. Can you please stop being
a dictator? I can also dictate you to add the most recent answer on top or to
give me a solution that doesn’t involve source code, but I don't. I prefer it
my way and I have different skill sets than you. If you don't like people doing
things another way than you, it's your problem. Helping them find a solution
that works form them - THAT is helping. Giving 1 solution that I can't work
with and dictate me using that... is NOT helping.

I provided my OS: I'm working on a Macbook Air M1. I sent images, but those
didn't come through.

Not everyone is able to run a script, like me. There must be other ways and I'm
looking for those. A string is a series of numbers/letters/symbols, like the
one you sent wit l-r. I don't know what it means and where to enter it. That's
what I asked: do I have to enter that string or 'sentence' in the searchbox on
the folder level where the problem is? A search box is this box with the
magnifying glass. I'm sure you know what it is.

DT is latest version.

Kind regards,
Hieke van Hoogdalem

Op 17-01-2023 02:24 heeft Patrick Shanahan <p...@opensuse.org> geschreven:

    * Hieke van Hoogdalem <hieke.vanhoogda...@gmail.com> [01-16-23 16:47]:
    > Of course having the side car files at the same location is the best
option That was the case and I never changed it. I don't know why I can't see
them. Will try (tomorrow or so) entering the string you gave me in the search
box.

    > Hartelijke groet,
    > Hieke van Hoogdalem
    >
    > Op 16-01-2023 21:30 heeft Patrick Shanahan <p...@opensuse.org>
geschreven:

    >     * Hieke van Hoogdalem <hieke.vanhoogda...@gmail.com> [01-16-23 15:13]:
    >     > Hi Patrick,
    >     >
    >     > Thanks again. I'm not sure what you mean by 'you do know how to
list dotted files, ls -la ???'. Can you explain?
    >     >
    >     > Hartelijke groet,
    >     > Hieke van Hoogdalem
    >     >
    >     > Op 16-01-2023 20:42 heeft Patrick Shanahan <p...@opensuse.org>
geschreven:
    >     >
    >     >     * Hieke van Hoogdalem <hieke.vanhoogda...@gmail.com> [01-16-23
14:38]:
    >     >     > Hi! There were no xmp files in the folder, strangely enough.
But I moved the complete folder. So it those are hidden files, they were
relocated too.
    >     >     >
    >     >     > Hartelijke groet,
    >     >     > Hieke van Hoogdalem
    >     >     >
    >     >     > Op 16-01-2023 20:35 heeft Patrick Shanahan
    >     >     >
    >     >     >     * Hieke van Hoogdalem <hieke.vanhoogda...@gmail.com>
[01-16-23 10:23]:
    >     >     >     > When I rightclick, I see these options (see
attachement) and when I click on 'search filmroll...' nothing happens. I tried
several times.
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     > What can I do to make it work?
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     > I can also, like Marco suggested, remove the skulls and
thumbnails from the library and add the folder from the new location. But what
happens with the edits? I don't see a sidecar file in the folders on my
harddisk and I don't want to loose all the work already done to those pictures.
<darkta...@intervalsignals.org> geschreven:
https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/4.0/en/module-reference/utility-modules/shared/collections/#updating-the-folder-path-of-moved-images
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     Marco DE BOOIJ schrieb am 15.01.23 um 17:07:
    >     >     >     >     > I suppose that you did not move them with
darktable? You must remove those 'skulls' and thumbnails from the library and
then add the folders that you moved from the new location. It is always better
to use the move option from within darktable.
    >     >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     > Kind regards,
    >     >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     > Marco
    >     >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     > Op 15/01/2023 om 16:51 schreef Hieke van
Hoogdalem:
    >     >     >     >     >>
    >     >     >     >     >> Hi all,
    >     >     >     >     >>
    >     >     >     >     >> I’m experiencing problems with the file path. I
moved some folders of photos I’d already worked on. Some photos show the
pixelated scull, others show thumbnails but aren’t accessible for further
editing I can’t find how to restore/repair the file paths.
    >     >     >     >     >>
    >     >     >     >     >> When clicking on the image to work on it, it
says: “image (name) is currently unavailable”. Please see the screenshot below
for the scull and folder names with strike through.
> [...]
    >     >     >     >     >>
    >     >     >     >     >>
    >     >     >     >     >>
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     --
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     regards
    >     >     >     >     Bernhard
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >     https://www.bilddateien.de
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >     >
    >     >     >
    >     >     >     did you move the xmp attachment files when you moved the
photos?
    >     >     >     importing from the new location with accompanying xmp
files should
    >     >     >     preserve your previous edits.
    >     >     >
    >     >     >
    >     >     >     --
    >     >     >     (paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA
     @ptilopteri
    >     >     >     http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member
facebook/ptilopteri
    >     >     >     Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo
paka @ IRCnet oftc
    >     >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >     you do know how to list dotted files, ls -la ???
    >     >
    >     >     wouldn't it be simple to check?
    >     >
    >     >     remember who the sysadmin is on your systems...
    >     >
    >     >     ps: questions asked and/or answered onlist are normally
continued onlist
    >     >     so others benefit and do not continually provide the same or
very similar
    >     >     answers.
    >     >
    >     >     --
    >     >     (paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA
@ptilopteri
    >     >     http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member
facebook/ptilopteri
    >     >     Photos: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/piwigo                   paka @
IRCnet oftc
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >

    >     open a terminal window and issue:  ls -la /<file>/<location>/*
    >     will show hidden files
    >
    >     but your xmp files should not be hidden by default.  they should match
    >     your image filenames.
    >
    >     iianm, your exported jpg files should also contain the editing
    >     information.
    >
    >     reimporting your missing images, dt should recognize that the images
have
    >     been moved and match the previous edits.
    >
    >     my personal opinion is that would should always retain the matching
xmp
    >     files with the original images.
    >

    >     --
    >     (paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA

    please explain further "entering the string you gave me in the search box"
    as that statement really doesn't quite click to me:
      I do not understand "search box" and "the string".

    so far as I recall the *only* pertinent information you have provided
    about your problem is that you see the skulls indicating an image not
    where the database believes it to be, that you will not run the provided
    script to correct that issue and that you moved subject images to a
    different location.  we know not what system you run but appears to be a
    linux distro, nor the particular version of dt or how installed.  it is
    kind of like chasing ghosts.

    and, if you cannot be bothered to trim all the fluff from this very
    verbose msg, I will not respond.  you may welcome that but I am quite old
    and set in my ways.