Belatedly: I think some settings are kept, otherwise it would be nice to keep.

Looking quickly at the code, we should keep:

- style to apply, if any
- "intermediary" icc profile and intent (what to export the image as -- this is
ambiguously named in the GUI and probably should be fixed!)
- print icc profile and intent (what to convert the image to -- again it's
ambiguous in GUI)
- paper size and medium type
- grid size
- units
- which printer
- margins and whether they are "locked" (one measurement for all)
- whether to use black point compensation

Given these, it should be possible to enter print view with a single image and
have the print settings do the right thing (position it as expected on the
page, print it as expected).

But is there other information to keep, e.g. for multi-image layouts? Making a
preset is a great idea, if that does work. But it shouldn't be that hard to
store this in the configuration system as well, so that the most recent layout
is maintained.

If so, I'd suggest making a feature request via
https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/new/choose and mention me
(@dtorop) so that I don't miss it. I'm a bit swamped at the moment, but want to
spend time on the print view when things settle down.