Le 26/04/2023 à 00:49, Glenn Malling a écrit :
I am an almost completely silent on this list.  However, before I retired in 2006 I ran the email systems, including a LISTSERV email list manager for Syracuse University.  At that time there was no RFC specifying the proper reply message body protocol.  So, unless such an RFC has been published since then,other than the MIME RFCs, all this griping is pretty much out of bounds. Personal preferences are not binding on others.

Glenn Malling

Retired email postmaster.
I entered the arena in the late 80s/early 90s.I did not know anything about rules and netiquette, so I posted the way I thought was right. Anyone here who argues that Patrick's interventions might be inappropriate, rude or offensive either did not suffer the same beatings I did at the time - or else has forgotten about them. Not to mention I did learn very quickly. Having braced myself on my positions would have meant depriving myself of valuable information so, yes, I complied with the rules that I took the time to read. The established rules have the sole purpose of making it possible for everyone to go in the same direction. If everyone goes his own way, well, noone can progress. If certain products of a brand mentioned somewhere above in this discussion were well thought out and free from defects before being published, it would have been known for a long time, and this discussion would not take place. And since it is easier to get used to it than to hope for a fix, this is why there are so many bad habits that persist and end up becoming standards. A bit as if, for example, you had to adapt to driving vehicles whose brakes do not work the way they ought to. And decide that, since it is the way the manufacturer designed it, it must become a de facto standard - despites the fact this is a bug.
A bit exaggerated as a comparison, but nevertheless...
BTW : pixl makes everyone use bottom posting without ever thinking nor complaining about it. Now is the time for me to dive back into the dt documentation - yes, I know: the stuff you're never supposed to read. 😛 As for the rules above-mentioned, a simple search (google netiquette) would make it clear (although the english version seem to differ from the french one - WTH ?). And, once again, make this almost useless discussion end.

Rgrds,

J.-Luc