New reply on DataCleaner's online discussion forum
(https://datacleaner.org/forum):

Martin replied to subject 'Unable to start up DataCleaner on Mac (any version)'

Hey Claudia,
Thank you for quick support.

I gave it a try. Not sure if I followed the advice correctly when run
{{{I:DataCleaner user$ chmod +x DataCleaner.app/Contents/MacOS/}}}
but it didn't help.

When I open the package, there is any file called "DataCleaner.jar"

I've downloaded the latest version DataCleaner 5.1.3