thank you , I"ll check it out, yes that would be useful. another user
informed of "full_messages" the problem though was that the error was in
one of the associated objects and not in the root object. So this ext would
indeed be quite useful.

Unfortunately it does not seem to be updated to work with the latest
datamapper, perhaps its just a gemspec thing, here's the bundler output;

Bundler could not find compatible versions for gem "dm-core":
  In Gemfile:
    dm-validations-ext (>= 0) java depends on
      dm-core (~> 1.1.0) java

    data_mapper (>= 0) java depends on
      dm-core (1.2.1)

Bundler could not find compatible versions for gem "dm-validations":
  In Gemfile:
    dm-validations-ext (>= 0) java depends on
      dm-validations (~> 1.0.2) java

    data_mapper (>= 0) java depends on
      dm-validations (1.2.0)

Process finished with exit code 6