I dont have good organized thoughts around data collection and
accessibility
(and I dont blog on open data; planning to write on energy data) but it is
something I woke up to again in the last few months in my business
conversations. I havent spent as much time in governance/non-profit space.
Take it FWIW:

1. Even the biggest companies I met struggle to collect, organize, and
understand basic data. I found that even basic excel cannot be assumed.
And these are engineering companies with names that you all are familiar
with. So the direction in which my own work is evolving towards
simplicity and working with existing processes. The technology platform etc
comes into picture once the data is accessible. Even basic technology
(excel)
will go a long way IMO. My own thinking on open data is that we should
spend more
time thinking about the collection and accessibility of data (all aspects).
The
opendata protocols etc. have a place but in India we have more fundamental
problems, I think.

2. I also found an interesting cultural gap between the people who collect
data and the managers who consume it. These are two different
communities (castes? education and income levels? geographies?)
that dont necessarily talk to each other. So it seems to me that questions
like what data? to what end? are arising even at the micro level.

-Venkata