Hey Pradeep,
For *Groundwater levels* the Water Resources Information System (WRIS, CWC)
has a pretty good map of monitoring wells and temporal, seasonal data for
groundwater over the years
http://www.india-wris.nrsc.gov.in/GWLevelApp.html?UType=R2VuZXJhbA==?UName=

For *Surface and Groundwater quality* data is available for download from
WRIS
>From the home page, go to Subinfo System under WRIS Explorer
Then find Water quality>Surface water/Groundwater

CWC has about 400 surface water quality stations across India and CPCB has
about 900. Both measure a different range of parameters, CPCB fewer
parameters than CWC. Historical data is available for download, in many
cases 20 years or more.
You can mail/call WRIS if you have difficulty accessing data. They are
cooperative, in my experience.

The data could be visualized in many ways, better than the WRIS website
does it.
Will be great to see what you come up with.

One of issues with surface water quality though is that there aren't enough
stations across the country, and this is an issue near bigger industrial
polluting areas The range of parameters the existing stations measure is
also inadequate to capture industrial pollution. Thus we really need to
provide some space for citizen monitoring of water quality.
Urban pollution (sewage) and even some agricultural pollution (nitrates) it
may capture well.

Let me know your comments once you explore more.

Best
Craig