Hey Nikhil,

OSM uses a PostgreSQL database as the main data store, along with PostGIS
extension for geometries. The tags are stored in key and value columns and
uses hstore, which makes it easy to add new ones without having to modify
the table schema. You can read about the database schema and infrastructure
here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Database

Overpass is independent of the above infrastructure. It reads from the
replication files and builds a binary on-disk database. More about Overpass
here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API

Also, you should join the OSM Talk-in mailing list if you haven't!

Sajjad