Hi Ishita,

Just a heads up : Pune is situated 560m above sea level. Floods if any
would be of lesser time and lower scale than what we have seen in Mumbai,
Chennai, Kerala. Also, there aren't Himalayas holding up huge lakes from
glacier melt nearby that can burst at very high pressure like in case of
Kedarnath floods. As far as real estate goes, this difference in elevation
does factor in for folks choosing where between Mumbai and Pune to buy
property. (At least it did for my family)

It may be important to clarify to the people seeing your visualization that
this is a simulation of a weather event where the water will recede in some
time, not of sea level rise which is permanent. I've seen cases of mixing
the two under the climate change label : Al Gore's latest film also made
that error. Diligence is low when emotions are high.

Related link: http://flood.firetree.net/ . I found that using this search
query
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=online+map+flood+simulation&atb=v79-7__&ia=web>.

The storm water drain networks (natural and manmade) could be something to
look up in addition to the regular elevation models work which IMHO is more
suited for showing permanent water level rise (which isn't happening for
Pune's case : IPCC predictions too talk about less than 1m rise in a
century : 560m would need us to flood majority of the planet before we get
to Pune. And a downstream dam's height raising would provide for localised
rise as in Narmada valley, but that's not the situation for Pune.) For
temporary flooding, finding choke points in the existing drainage systems
may tell more about which areas will flood and which won't, and this might
have to be done at much more localized level with ground surveys if one
wanted to accurately predict.

Sharing an experience from some years ago, this digresses into topics other
than flooding but some folks might find interesting the inter-connectedness
and tradeoffs (as opposed to linear solutions) nature of real world problem
solving:

===== begin digression =========
In 2015 I had attended some citizen-corporation interaction meetings
regarding participatory budget. There one repeating request from citizens
was : Put cement cover over the canals to prevent mosquito breeding. The
govt engineers' answer : Sir/Madam, if we do that then in rainy season your
area and surrounding areas are going to suffer flooding. The problem was :
dumping of garbage into the canals, which was clogging up everything and
spreading filth and disease. So a quick-fix would have been to cover
everything up with cement. But that would severely limit the only flow
route for rainwater and lead to what has been seen in Mumbai, Chennai etc
and even talked about prominently : how cementing up the city caused it. So
this was an example of a tricky problem as my colleagues put it. We also
observed that this dumping was far more prominent in affluent areas where
nobody is at home when the sanitation workers visit in the day and people
do drive-by-tossing of tied up plastic bags in the black of the night.

And then there were more "solutions" proposed of putting public garbage
bins in the areas so people can toss their stuff there instead of in the
canals, and that led to two simple questions from the municipality
engineers that no one could answer : 1. Who's going to segregate that or
ensure that it's segregated from source? and 2. Who here is ready to allow
a large garbage bin to be placed anywhere near your society?
#cough#property-value#cough#

I also got to see demands from folks for sanitation workers to come at
their doors at exactly the same convenient time in morning, like 7.30am,
and expecting that to happen at everybody's home simultaneously, as if the
municipality has hired Santa Claus or Naruto to collect the trash. Quite
amusing our educated folks can be. In my area the team rotates their
starting point by the day, so on some days they show up early and some days
you're on the latter end of the collection route.

===== end digression =========

Afterthought: PMC engineers at ward offices may be able to mark for you
exactly what places can flood if you give them large paper maps of their
wards that have street level and elevation detail. I can help to make those
if needed.

PS: No formal training in these matters on my end, so apply disclaimers.

--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ