> what I'm intending to see is how a railway system cuts up cities into
> neighborhoods if any in prominent Indian Cities.

Coming back to the original question, it would be great to see what you
find. Since independence, i cannot recollect any significant network
changes in big cities that might have fragmented neighbourhoods since a new
line is usually laid on empty land skirting existing settlements.

There are other changes like closure of level crossings, new road and foot
over/under bridge and gauge conversions that might have a more significant
effect to the mobility of people between two sides of a railway line but
may not be so visible on historical maps.

It may make sense to focus on one city to study this for ease of use of
data collection, and Mumbai might have the best archival records for doing
this. This 1931 guide map of Mumbai is very interesting, you can see the
location of all the original settlements in the suburbs before the railways
brought about their urbanization. It even shows the CST tramway (now CST
Road) before the airport was built at Sahar.

1931 Guide map of Bombay: http://mapwarper.net/maps/29682