Hi,
This is regarding Shivangi's question titled "State-->District-->Village
level data".

*DTName* column is same as district column "*DID,C,254*" in the census data.
*SDTName* column is same as taluka column  "*TID,C,254*" in the census data.
State code is the same in both. (for e.g. 27 for Maharashtra)

Districts are numbered from 1 to 35 exactly as they appear in the census
file and those numbers are used in the shape file.
Talukas are also numbered from 1 to x (x being the number of talukas in
each district). The sequence is same in both the files.

Here is the python code for district and taluka:

census = pd.read_csv("census.CSV")
census = census.apply(lambda s: s.str.replace("'", ""))
census = census[census["DTName"] != "MAHARASHTRA"]
ndf = census[census["SDTCode"] == "00000"]
ndf["mapindex"] = np.arange(1, len(ndf) + 1)
ndf[["DTCode", "Name", "mapindex"]]

taluka = census[census["TVCode"] == "000000"]
taluka = taluka[taluka["SDTCode"] != "00000"]
taluka["sno"] = (taluka.groupby(["DTName"]).cumcount()+ 1)

The full code is available here...

https://github.com/shantanuo/stack_question/blob/master/state_district_village_data.ipynb

I have tested with Maharashtra data but the same logic can be applied to
other states.

-- Shantanu