On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 14:20 +0200, Sean Kelvin Preston wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Sorry about that, I was looking at an older kernel version :-) In the
> function
> > driver_match_device()
>
> Thanks for the suggestions and help so far but as I am new to this and I am
> really not understanding what the problem is.  From what I have understood
> is that the platform_probe and platform_register functions are not loading
> the driver.

You need to identify exactly where the code fails. Like previously
mentioned I could think of two such places, can't think of any other.

>   I have not changed anything about the driver except to add the
> actual chip id to the nand_ids.c file but by looking at the original NAND
> boot sequence I have observed that this is only used later once the
> davinci_nand driver is loaded.
>
> So when the kernel boots and it needs to determine what hardware is there.
> How is it doing this?  How does it know that a particular driver should be
> loaded?

After a match is found using the id and name variable, the function
driver_probe_device() calls really_probe(dev, drv). This is the function
that actually calls your driver specific probe function.

But you can verify all this by putting printk's in your code.

Regards,
Philby